I found Joanne Hindley’s text compelling. Her book, In the Company of Children, is grounded in the lives of real children who study at Manhattan New School in New York City. Hindley communicates the truths of public school life, as well as how to create an effective classroom for diverse children. She calls for a meaningful change in teaching practice, while questioning tradition writing/reading instruction. I found this text interesting because of how the author offers teachers fresh ideas and strategies.
Chapter two in the text, in particular, was very informative; it is titled, “The Writer’s Notebook: Not Just for Kids.” This chapter captures the importance, and real meaning, of a writer’s notebook. As Betsey Osbourne says,
“A notebook is a receptacle, a tool, a way to hold on to things. Students should view notebooks as a document of their lives; they learn not only to honor what they see but to look in the first place. If students become more aware of the world around them, and now there is a place for these observations, then this awareness will more naturally be included in their own writing” (13).
This quote communicated the effectiveness of a writer’s notebook and how it can benefit not only students, but teachers, as well.
Hindley continues the chapter by discussing notebook selection, ways to use notebooks, and the type of writing such a book can accommodate. It wasn’t until this chapter that I recognized the true significance of a notebook, both for teachers and for students. It is certainly a concept that should be incorporated into the curriculum within a reading and/or writing course.
On page 4, Hindley states, “At the Manhattan New School, my colleagues and I pride ourselves on the fact that we share the same basic beliefs about how people learn.” Do you think this is common at most schools? Furthermore, do you think it is important for teachers to share this common belief? Or, is it beneficial to have teachers with diverse beliefs?
I somewhat disagree with Hindley's statement. I think it is imperative for teachers at a particular school to have varying beliefs about how people learn. While some fundamental beliefs should be shared by the group, I think that different perspectives can shape a more diverse learning environment. Rather than every teacher educating in the same way, it is beneficial to teach students important concepts in multiple ways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment