Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Williams, Chapter 9

In this chapter, Williams talks about writing assignments and the importance of such assignments. As Erika Lindemann (1933b) noted, "Teachers must decide what they want students to do in an assignment, how they want them to do it, who the students are writing for, and what constitutes a successful response to the assignment. Perhaps, the most important of these factors is the need to let students know clearly what they are expected to do."
Do you agree that this is the most important of these factors?

From my experiences, especially within higher-level education, I am very rarely instructed on exactly what I am expected to do. Instead, professors often leave writing assignments open-ended, enabling students to interpret it as they wish. While this can be extremely frustrating at times since many students desperately search for a sense of direction, I can sometimes see how this type of assignment is appropriate. I do agree with Williams' idea that students seldom know what they are supposed tod o when asked to "discuss." This term, when used within a writing assignment prompt, has always left me wondering what exactly my objective is. Instead, it is better to use terms like describe or narrate or interpret or evaluate.

In addition, I strongly disagree with one of the factors included within the aforementioned quote. I do not think it is imperative that teachers tell students how they want them to complete the assignment. I have been given many assignments, particularly in college, that do not provide a step-by-step list of what I should do to complete it well. Instead, I am given prompts and then left to complete it as I see appropriate. Obviously, there are the standard guidelines; that is, MLA or APA, Times New Roman font, double-spaced, etc. And yes, I think it is important to give a minimum number of outside sources that are required, as well as the due date. But I do not agree with Williams that students are to be told exactly how they are expected to write the assignment. To me, a student should understand whether or not to use a formal tone. In just about all school work, students should demonstrate professionalism; this should be understood. Taken a step further, good writing assignments, in my opinion, are those that give students the freedom to write a piece about a given prompt in any way that he or she feels is appropriate. By pushing students to think critically, as well as creatively, teachers can strengthen students' writing skills, as well as invention skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment